Tuesday, January 3, 2012

3 YEARS AND COUNTING!

I lived in Lubbock, he lived in Midland and we were determined to make it work. We were doomed from the moment we shared our first kiss.  We knew from that singular kiss that we'd spend our lives together.

It was a Saturday and I was at work. David drove in the night before and was waiting for me at my apartment.  The restaurant was slow and my manager insisted I finish my side work and go home. It was nice the way everyone was helping me get everything done. I wasn't used to that. I text David and told him how hungry I was and asked if he could make me some mac & cheese. He agreed. I was home earlier than normal and no one was there. I went upstairs to my room looking for David but all I found was a sandwich and chips on my bed, along with a card. The card read something about my ride showing up in an hour it also said he didn't have time to make my mac & cheese.  That's when I knew today was the day.

I quickly showered (I smelled like an old fridge after work), curled my hair (David likes it curly) and did my makeup. Then I waited. I have never been able to get ready and look so good so quickly since then :) I kept peeking out of the door not knowing what to expect. Then I saw it. The stretch black limo trying to maneuver itself through the tight parking lot.  I walked out and the driver opened the door for me. He said,"You must be Marivelle.  David told me there's a special station you like to listen to." He changed the station to Air 1 and smiled. 

He drove me about 10 blocks away and stopped at a salon. He opened the door and told me this was my first stop. I walked in confused. I told the girl at the counter my name and she called Jennifer. Jennifer was the sweetest girl. She said I was getting my hair cut, colored and styled. (Yeah, after making myself look so good!) I was there for hours.  We chatted on and on and she made me look great!  When she was done she walked into the room with a beautiful dress and shoes. She told me to get dressed quickly because my ride was on the way.  I put on the dress and she walked me out with an umbrella as the rain dribbled down.

This was a different limo and a different driver. He didn't say anything to me but I enjoyed the nice ride through Lubbock.  He stopped at The Frenchman Inn and there waiting for me was my adorable boyfriend, David.  He opened the door and walked me into the quaint but elegant restaurant.  We ate and chatted and I told him how surprised I was by all that was unfolding.  We popped open a bottle of sparkling grape juice and he handed me a card.  This wasn't a store bought card either. He had handmade the card. The card had me blushing. He wrote that I was the girl of his dreams and how he couldn't imagine spending his life with anyone else but it just stopped there.  I was sure tonight was the night but I guess I was wrong.  We finished our meal and headed to his truck.  He told me there was one more stop.

For weeks I had been bugging him to take me to see 27 Dresses and he'd absolutely refuse.  While we were driving I'd ask where we were going, he said, "you'll see."  We got to the drive-in and I was sure tonight wasn't the night.  We pulled up to the screen and I noticed we were watching 27 Dresses! Yay! It was a chilly night so David went to the concession stand to get me a hot chocolate. I sat in the truck thankful for such a thoughtful boyfriend. He got back to the truck and asked if I had seen his phone. I looked around and when I turned back towards him, there he was with a beautiful sparkling ring in his hand.  I can't remember if I even let him say the words but I wasn't waiting. I covered my mouth in shock and quickly said, "YES!" It was the happiest day of my life. We didn't even get to watch the movie but that didn't bother me one bit. I knew this day was coming but I didn't know how great it would feel.

That was 4 years ago. Today is our 3rd anniversary and I still couldn't imagine my life without my darling David. Even though I ask WAY too many questions I already know the answers to, and even though he plays his techno music too loud, we were meant to be together. He makes me whole and I thank God for the love he has given us! I love you more than anything, David. Thank you for being my Prince Charming! Here's to 3 years and counting! Happy Anniversary, Love <3

1 comment:

  1. Wow I'm impressed David! :) This is the first time I've heard the story. Congratulations on 3 years!

    ReplyDelete